The following properties are located in the Irwin area and are priceless treasures of our roots living here. The treasures are also homes to private residences so don’t trespass on the properties!
John Irwin House
The John Irwin House on the corner of Main Street and Pennsylvania Ave was built in 1836 by John Irwin. He was the nephew of the Colonel John Irwin who gained notarity while fight along General George Washington The brick home served as a stagecoach inn for weary travelers on the Greensburg to Pittsburgh run. In case you noticed, he has the same last name as the town. He was the person who laid out the plan for the land from his place to the railroad tracks of the Penssyvania Railroad.
Brush Hill House
The house was the home to John Scull and his wife Polly. Mrs. Polly Scull was the daughter of the known local American Revolutionary veteran Col. John Irwin. To help with some of the confusion which I had, he was the nephew John Irwin that set up the town of Irwin. The home is not the original Brush Hill home that was built there. The first one was burnt down by the local Indians. They rebuilt to only have the home it by lighting. So, when he rebuilt again, he built it with fieldstone so it could stand up the weather and man!
The Brush Creek Church
This historic building is located in the Hempfield area. This church was originally built for the Reformed Church. The church started to be built in 1816 and was completed in 1820. It is a two story building with a gabled roof and has a second floor gallery.
There has been a couple of names for this building but the Fullerton Inn as stayed for this historic North Huntingdon place. It is located on Old Trail Road and was built in 1798. The Inn which also operated as the Jacktown Inn, Jacksonville Hotel, and the Fullerton-Sverdup House operated as an Inn into the late 19th century. The building was constructed as a Federalist style stone building.
Andrew and Jennie McFarlane House
aka The Larimer Mansion
This wonderful home is located on Maus Drive in North Huntingdon. The home of the McFarlanes and the Larimers is a 2 1/2 story “L” shaped dwelling with a log and frame built with cedar siding. The original log home was built from 1790 and 1798. The rear wood section was added on in 1870 as a wood frame construction. As the addition was put on, the home was remodeled in the Italianate style. The Italianate was considered to be a 19th century phase of Classical architecture.
For more information on the historic areas and buildings, either contact the Norwin Historical Society at 724-000-000 or the Larimer Mansion for a tour in the summer of the Larimer History Room at 724-863-9150.